Is it bad to say that this has already been a “week?”
Okay, maybe. It is only Wednesday…
One of our favorite things to do after long, stressful days is to be lazy. Admit it, you have a love/hate relationship with your couch, or maybe your TV, or even Netflix (I will own up to all of the above).
Sam and I love to have down time and watch TV.
Some of our current “shows” (programs, series, whatever you prefer to call them) we watch are “Alaska: The Last Frontier,” “Life Below Zero,” and “Alaskan Bush People.” We’ve decided if push comes to shove, we could possibly live off the land in Alaska (okay, maybe we are half serious)…but these are shows that we can chat about and laugh about (because some of the things that go on are very interesting). We also get to spend time together watching these shows.
Do you have a certain routine, show, or meal that you like to share with your significant other or family?
Here are a few things we enjoy as a couple and family:
- Meals at home. I love to cook for Sam, or for Sam and the kids. Tonight we had a nice dinner and chatted about our work day.
- Talking about the highs and lows of the day. Some days there might be more than bad than good, or vice versa, but it is nice to hear about all the events that take place during the day. And, due to busy schedules, the first time we get to sit down and chat might be at dinner.
- TV time. I mentioned the shows we like to watch above…when the kids are with us we try to find a movie or TV show they may like (none of the Alaskan shows are interesting to them).
- Reading time. Usually before bed on most nights all of us will have a book. This is one of my favorite times of day, especially if I hear the kids reading to one another. I know those moments won’t last long.
- Netflix. Rarely can we all agree on a show/movie, but when we do, it is nice to have everyone in our living room on the couch with blankets (and popcorn). Sometimes we venture out to the theatre and see a show too!
- Writing. While this is mostly something I tend to do, it is nice to write down things about the day, plan for the weekend (I love my planner), or write ideas for the blog. I catch my daughter writing or drawing and that makes my heart swell.
- Ice cream nights! These are some of the best nights because we will have ice cream on hand in the freezer, or we will make a “milkshake run” to pick up our ice cream from Dairy Queen or Sonic. This also remedies bad days.
- Cuddling with Memphis on the human couch. Our dogs have their own couch (spoiled much?) and every so often we let them on the “human couch.” This is particularly heartwarming when Sam and Memphis cuddle together on the couch and I can sometimes snap a picture of them. If all of us (4 humans and 3 dogs) are on the couch it can be a bit crowded…but I love it.
Down time can really be the best time. I like to be an observer in some of these moments…and I want to burn the images in my mind so I never forget the cuddle time or movie time. Sometimes I capture the moments on my phone (camera) so I have proof that the kids were actually cuddling or being kind (and they are generally kind to one another 98% of the time). I love when we have family time and can enjoy being at home (especially with our hectic lives). I hope you all find down time, time for you and your significant other, time for your family, and also time for you.